‘Fear God, Honour the King’ (Motto 1988)

‘Whaia Te Iti Kahurangi’(Current Motto)

 ‘Reaching for the Sky’

“Our goal is to help you reach your goals”




In 1885 Walter McCaul went to the Education Board (now Ministry of Education) to ask for a school in New Lynn. There were 61 children who needed a school close to where they lived. In 1888 New Lynn School was built and opened on the land where Kelston Girls’ High School is now. It cost £185 (approximately $400) to build.

The first teacher was Mr Chapman who was paid £85 (approx $200) per year. Later in 1888 Miss Duncan came to teach as the school was becoming overcrowded. The school kept growing and growing so an even bigger school was built in 1914. In 1897 The Education Board chose New Lynn School as the Model Country School. The Headmaster and Teachers must have been so proud. In 1910 the community asked for the school to be located in a more central position as they thought “Kelston was too far away and too dangerous!” In 1914 the Education Board (MoE) agreed and moved New Lynn School to where it is today.



Our 1914 New Lynn School Opening




1916 - 1918                                                                          1919-1939

For a long time New Lynn was the only local school. Then came Arahoe (1958), Kelston and Fruitvale (1963) which relieved the pressure off New Lynn School.

In the early days some children came to school by horse. The horses patiently grazed away the school hours in the school paddock next to the Headmaster’s house. Some games that were played at school included: marbles, corner tag and puss in the corner. Back then classrooms were cleaned with a mop and broom. In 1938 W.D Taylor proposed that the Education Board put an electric power point in every building (not every classroom). Soon after this a vacuum cleaner was purchased and used to clean up the messes. This was very special and modern back in 1938.


Maker of the Peace Proclamation
Headmaster Mr Howard Ellis
November 1918 


In 1975 the old brick schoolroom at New Lynn School had to be demolished. When they cleared away the building’s rubble an interesting jar was found, which had been buried when the building was made in 1914. A preserving jar with records of the day was cemented in the foundation stone by the front steps. It had a copy of the first New Zealand Herald newspaper inside of it.

Finding the preserving jar with 
records of New Lynn School 1914








Today, New Lynn School is quite different. There is more than one power point in each classroom. Our present school Principal, Mr Roebuck, does not live on the school grounds. No one rides their horse to school. Sliding down muddy banks is not really allowed and there is no free hot chocolate. The school roll is approximately 305 students and it is growing. New Lynn School is one of the VERY GOOD establishments in New Lynn, Auckland.

Researched by: Walter Swift   Year 6